Chocolate Covered Strawberries
That’s right, it’s Valentine’s Day. You can tell by the Isaac Hayes playing in the background and the soft pink glow on everything. Okay I sometimes forget that reality and television are not the same thing. But there is one Valentine’s Day television staple that is easy for you to make a reality on your own, chocolate covered strawberries (now made with real love!).
- 1 pound strawberries with stems (about 20 berries)
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Rinse the strawberries well but leave the stems attached. Drain them and pat them completely dry. Put the chopped semisweet chocolate in a heatproof medium bowl. Fill a medium sized saucepan with a few inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Turn off the heat and set the bowl of chocolate over the hot water to melt. Remember to keep stirring the chocolate until it is smooth. Once the chocolate is melted and smooth remove it from the heat. Line a sheet pan with parchment or waxed paper. Holding the strawberry by the stem, dip the bottom half into the melted chocolate and twist to that to chocolate covers the strawberry. Set the chocolate covered strawberries on the parchment paper to allow the chocolate to set. Do not eat them all during the preparation process!
When people in love think of things to consume on Valentine’s Day strawberries and champagne are high on the list. People not in love tend to think about pizza and a beer or whatever may be left in that bottle of wine in the fridge. Let’s stick with the love theme and try sprucing up a glass of champagne with a classic champagne cocktail.
- 3 drops bitters
- 1 sugar cube
- 1 ounce Cognac
- 4 ounces chilled Champagne
- In a small glass, soak the sugar cube in bitters. Place the soaked sugar cube in a Champagne flute and add Cognac and Champagne. Let the romance ignite…