If you know Dallas based fetish and pin-up model Courtney Crave, you know she loves to bake, does it from scratch, and is damn good at it! We asked her to come on board and share a new recipe every month with our readers, and we think you’ll be so glad we did!
Thanksgiving is almost upon us! And what does everyone associate with Thanksgiving? Pie! Turkey, football, and extra days off work also count… but pie is numero uno my list. One of my all favorite pies is a Mystery Pecan Pie that comes from the wonderful mind of chef Paula Dean (of “just add a stick of butter” fame). Of course, I’ve lightened it up a bit for anyone who prefers or requires vegetarian baking like myself.
Mystery Pecan Pie
- 3 eggs*
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package room temperature cream cheese**
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg*
- 1 frozen unbaked deep dish (9 inch) pie shell (I recommend Pillsbury Pet Ritz brand, no eggs and tastes great!)
- 1 ¼ cups chopped pecans
*For a vegetarian or egg free pie replace eggs with Ener-G Egg Replacer which can be found in specialty grocery stores like Whole Foods or Sprouts. Follow instructions on package and do not let the egg replacement mixture sit out long before putting it in the oven.
**For a vegan pie follow vegetarian recipe instructions and replace cream cheese with Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese or Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Cream Cheese. Again, check your local health food store for these products.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (that’s 176 degrees C for all of our European friends). Combine all the topping ingredients together in a medium sized bowl and set aside. In another medium sized bowl, mix the softened cream cheese and egg (or substitutes), sugar, salt, and vanilla extract until they are well combined. This can be difficult with the cream cheese; you’ll definitely get an arm workout. I recommend using a large fork or handheld mixer to combine these ingredients. Pour the pie mixture into your frozen unbaked deep dish pie shell and top with the chopped pecans. Pour the topping mixture over the pecans. Is your oven ready? Bake on the center rack for 45 minutes. This pie is delicious warm, room temperature, or chilled and will keep in the fridge for about a week, if it lasts that long without being devoured.
Looking for a unique and classic drink to complete the most wonderful of all fall meals? My favorite thing to sip on cool fall nights is a Dark & Stormy.
Dark & Stormy
In a tall or highball glass pour a couple shots of dark rum over ice. I prefer Bermudan rum and Goslings Black Seal is the official rum of the Dark & Stormy. Top this with 8 ounces of ginger beer. Make sure you are using ginger beer, which can be found at World Market, and not ginger ale. Squeeze half a lime into the mixture and stir. Sit back, relax, and enjoy this spicy and refreshing fall cocktail. Go have another piece of pie too.