Vegan Crispie Treats
Since it’s July I wanted to come up with some traditionally American recipes that you could create for your 4th of July celebrations. I also haven’t done a vegan recipe in a while, so here’s a vegan friendly recipe that doesn’t require you to track down vegan marshmallows. And depending on how you celebrate Independence Day, you may just end up with more of these to yourself if your friends and family go blowing themselves up with rockets. Just grab a sparkler and crispie treat and enjoy the show.
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine like Earth Balance
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal or your favorite cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- In a small pot, heat the syrup over medium heat. Add the sugar, stirring continuously until it begins bubbling at the bottom. If it starts to turn frothy just lower the temperature. Once the mixture looks as if it’s boiling add the margarine and stir until well combined. While still stirring add the vanilla. Put 6 cups of your favorite puffed rice cereal (might I suggest Rice Krispies, Fruity Pebbles, or even Crunchy Nut cereal) in a large bowl. Pour the syrup-butter-vanilla mixture over the cereal and mix with a spatula until evenly coated. Scoop the mixture into a 9×13 inch glass baking dish coated with non-stick oil, spread evenly, and cool. Or don’t cool, it’s perfectly good all warm and gooey as well!
St. Germain Tom Collins
Some of you may know about my affinity for St. Germain. While I could do article after article on St. Germain drink recipes alone, I’ve tried to switch it up for you in the past. Well this month I couldn’t resist any longer. I’m giving you my favorite twist on a truly American cocktail. Try this drink and then tell me this isn’t the most refreshing beverage ever created on a steamy summer day, I dare you.
- 2 oz. dry gin
- 2 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz. St. Germain
- Soda water
- Slice of lemon
- Place the gin, lemon juice and St. Germain in an ice filled cocktail shaker and shake vigorously to combine. Pour into a chilled Collins glass over ice and top with soda water to add some fizz. Garnish with a slice of lemon and enjoy!